By J. Takakusu
An advent to I-tsing's (Yijing) checklist of the Buddhist faith as practised in India and the Malay Archipelago (A.D. 671-695)
The written files of his 25-year travels contributed to the worldknowledge of the traditional state of Srivijaya, in addition to delivering information regarding the opposite kingdoms mendacity at the path among China and the Nālandā Buddhist college in India.
Read Online or Download A Record of the Buddhist Religion as Practised in India and the Malay Archipelago (A.D. 671-695) PDF
Best eastern books
This serious quantity addresses the query of Rabindranath Tagore's relevance for postmodern and postcolonial discourse within the twenty-first century. the amount comprises contributions by way of major modern students on Tagore and analyses Tagore's literature, track, theatre, aesthetics, politics and paintings opposed to modern theoretical advancements in postcolonial literature and social conception.
This publication describes the distinction among the powerful financial progress and democratization that experience happened in Africa and its stalling political growth. It offers and discusses fragility because the phenomenon that has prompted the country to stay susceptible and faltering and has ended in a minimum of one 3rd of the continent’s electorate residing in fragile states.
In the course of the previous millennium, yes Tibetan Buddhist yogins have taken on profoundly norm-overturning modes of gown and behaviour, together with draping themselves in human continues to be, eating grime, upsetting others to violence, or even appearing sacrilege. They turned identified everywhere as "madmen" (smyon pa, reported nyönpa), attaining a level of saintliness within the procedure.
- Abhinavagupta: The Kula Ritual as Elaborated in Chapter 29 of the Tantrāloka
- The Buddha's Way of Happiness: Healing Sorrow, Transforming Negative Emotion, and Finding Well-Being in the Present Moment
- Muslims in Poland and Eastern Europe: Widening the European Discourse on Islam
- Daoist Identity: History, Lineage, and Ritual
- Passionate Enlightenment
Extra resources for A Record of the Buddhist Religion as Practised in India and the Malay Archipelago (A.D. 671-695)
If I live long enough (to see you return), it will be my joy to witness you transmitting the Light. Go without hesitation j do not look back upon things left behind. I certainly approve of your pilgrimage to the holy places. Moreover it is a most important duty to strive for the pros perity of Religion. Rest clear from doubt ! ' 2 On the eve of my departure, I went to the tomb of my master (Shan-yli) to worship and to take leave. At that time, the trees around the tomb (though) i njured by frost had already grown so much that each tree would take one hand to span it 3, and wild grasses had filled the graveyard.
96) . This may be H illen Thsang's Nalikera-dvlpa (Co�oa-nut Island), as Yule thinks. 3 Yule, Marco Polo, vol. ii, chap. xii, p. 2 89 ; he says (p. 2 9 1) : ' The natives now do not go quite naked ; the men wear a narrow cloth, the women a grass girdle. ' NO TES ON GE O GRA PHICA L NA AIES. xxxix The above two accounts as well as I-tsing's certainly refer to one and the same island, though the latter does not mention any name for it. It seems to have passed under the name of ' Lo-jell-kuo,' just like ' Insulae Nudorum,' as marked in Pr-of.
Although I myself did not see (all the limits) and ascertain ( the distance), yet I know it by inquiry. Tamralipti is forty yoganas south from the eastern limit of India. There are five or six monasteries ; the people are Page 2 1 3, note I. ' III Vaisali there was a house which is said to be the room of Vimalaklrti, contemporary of the Buddha ; \Yan-hiuen-ts'e, chief envoy to Slladitya, when in Vaisall, measured the house and found that this room was ten cubits each way (Kasyapa). Hence it was afterwards known as Fan-chang ; later any room where a head priest lived was called so.